Tuesday, July 12, 2011

An Editorial a Grieving Father Wrote

March 2000 Editorial


By Milo Tsukroff

In the little town of Norfolk, Connecticut, nestled at the base of Haystack Mountain, lies the Norfolk Cemetery. The two children whom I have lost are buried in the "new" section. When we visit, I often wander among the graves. It is not surprising to see the number of children's graves from the 18th and 19th century.
I am drawn again and again to the unique four-headed memorial in the Robbins family plot. There lie four children, all listed on one headstone. I have not seen another headstone like it anywhere. It shows that the Robbins family lost 4 children in 4 years, the last 3 in a single year.
A few years ago, I finally knew enough about Bible history to understand what the name of the last child meant: She was named "Mara". This is most disturbing, once you realize what it means. The name "Mara" is not used often in our society. As a matter of fact, in over 30 years, I have met only one other person named Mara. The reason for this is its terrible connotation. It comes from Ruth 1:20 - "And she said unto them, Call me not Naomi, call me Mara: for the Almighty hath dealt very bitterly with me." "Mara" means "bitter" in Hebrew.
The terrible meaning of the little girl's name is emphasized by the doleful verse on the bottom of the stone. I wasn't able to read it all, because the headstone has worn and sunk and been partly overgrown with lichen, but it starts with: "When flames of wrath shall burn ye seas..." This is indeed an awful headstone. It speaks to me of a woman who was fiercely angry, angry at God, and wanted the world to know of her overwhelming grief.
But it also speaks of a husband who supported this angry woman through her grief. He allowed her to express herself, and that is a powerful expression of his love for her.
Here is a little bit of history that I have been able to piece together with some research. I apologize for not having more facts; I'm certain that the Norfolk Congregational Church and the Norfolk Historical Society have more information, but I haven't had the time to contact them.
Ammi Robbins was only 21 when he was called to be the pastor of Norfolk Congregational Church, in 1761. He was to live and serve there the rest of his life, passing away 52 years later at the ripe old age of 73. Shortly after settling in at Norfolk, he married. His beautiful bride, Elizabeth, was only 18 years old.
Elizabeth and Ammi settled into the pastorate in Norfolk. Within a short time, Elizabeth became pregnant with their first child.
When the child came, a boy, they named him Philemon, after Ammi's father. Then tragedy struck -- he died a week later, on the 20th of March, 1763. This must have been a bitter blow to them. Certainly, it affected them so much that they did not immediately erect a headstone.
Losing a child was quite common in pre-revolutionary America. Medicine was primitive, and life was often harsh. Elizabeth seems to have not given up. She became pregnant again soon after that. Slightly less than a year later, she gave birth to another boy. This one thrived. Ammi and Elizabeth named this child Philemon also.
Almost two years later, on the fifth of January, 1766, Elizabeth gave birth to a girl. She was named Elizabeth after her mother. But she only lived 5 days, and died on the 9th of January.
Elizabeth conceived again in March. Toward the end of September, as she began to really show, little two-and-a-half-year-old Philemon died. This was the third of her children to die, and now she had no children except the one which was on the way.
The fourth child must have been eagerly expected. She was born almost exactly a year after Elizabeth had lost her first girl, a little gift from God. Finally, they had another child.
Then, on the next day, the first anniversary of losing little Elizabeth, this child also died. Now Elizabeth had lost all four of her first children, the last three in the last year.
I believe that Elizabeth was very upset after losing that last child. She must have been, to name her daughter Mara. I think that she must have been very bitter about what God allowed her to go through. But the interesting thing is that her husband Ammi seems to have supported her through her public expression of her grief. Certainly he allowed her to erect that strange little four-headed memorial stone, and to put the dreadful verses on it.
It is common to say, "Oh, it was God's will that such-and-such happens." I'm certain that people kept saying this to Elizabeth. But she must have answered, Is it really God's will to torment me by killing my children? I think that Elizabeth's public statement of her bitterness towards God, by naming her daughter Mara, showed how much she grieved her lost children.
Around ten years ago, a grown-up neighbor passed away. He had been very popular in our city, and was sorely missed. His mother came over to the apartment where he and his brother lived. Being from Puerto Rico, whose culture is much more expressive, she let her feelings out instantly and intensely. She screamed and wailed, threw herself around, and tried to beat her head on the floor. The men of the family had to hold her back.
The Bible counsels, "Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them." (Col. 3:19) Those of us who as men must endure the loss of our children must also endure the grieving of our wives. Men and women grieve in different ways. Us Dads must remember to not be upset at the ways that they choose to express themselves (or sometimes, how they choose to not express themselves). We need to be there for their grief: Help them through the hard times; talk about it with them; watch them closely and get them help if they become self-destructive; and above all, help them simply by being supportive of their expressions of grief.
My wife Karin and I discussed how our neighbor's mother had grieved so loudly and violently. It was so different from how we had grieved for our daughter -- we tended to hold our emotions inside. Karin especially had a completely different perspective on the grieving process we had gone through. I had to listen very carefully to her, and ask her a lot of questions, in order to know how she felt about things. There were some aspects of her grief that I had no idea still hurt her. Some of these were spiritual questions (Did Katrina go to Heaven? Did we do the right things for her?) and some were practical (Was it okay to have another child? Was there a possibility of another birth defect?).
After losing our four-year-old Danny, we once again went through grief differently. I found myself barely holding back the grief, often overwhelmed. Karin has been quieter about it, and I still don't know when she will finally say, "I'm done." I am still watching and supporting her and doing my best to be there.
We have only lost two children, and those separated by almost twenty years. I cannot imagine how much it would hurt to go through Ammi and Elizabeth Robbins' loss. This story was so compelling that just had to share it.
It seems that God relented and gave Elizabeth better days. This story has a better ending: Elizabeth Robbins had many more children. Little Ammi Junior was born the next year, and he lived to full manhood and was married in the Norfolk church. Another child was Elizabeth, who lived to full womanhood and was also married in the same Norfolk church. Ammi Robbins saw many members of his congregation go off to fight for liberty in the American Revolution. He lived to a ripe old age, and his beloved Elizabeth buried him in the family plot in Norfolk Cemetery in 1813. She finally passed away in 1829 at the advanced age of 84.

Fathers, Dads, Husbands, love your wives, and help them bear their grief. If it may turn to bitterness, help them through that also. You have to give them room, watch them, love them. It's your duty, your job, your joy, to help them through.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sad (yet uplifting in the end) story. I cannot imagine what Elizabeth and Ammi had gone through. I am not sure the exact reason you posted this.. to agree that Husbands should be there to support their wife in their grief, or the fact that Elizabeth went on to have more children. I hope that it is the first rather than the later. I can see that you need the support, not only from us but from Matt as well. He should be there to support you WILLINGLY.
As for having more children, I hope that you don't think that it would make everything better. I have read so many stories about how hard it was on the family during the rainbow pregnancy... remembering what happened and the fear. I am not saying that you should never have another child, I am just saying that it is not going to make it all better.
You need to make yourself better. Your family needs to heal before you can move forward. There is that saying "You can't love if you don't love yourself". I find a lot of truth in that. I know you love your kids, yet if you don't have yourself in a good place, your children are not either.
I am praying that Matt will open his eyes and see that what he is doing.. or NOT doing, is tearing your family apart. He needs to HELP. I pray that you will find peace in your heart, that the ache will ease and the clouds will part from in front of your eyes.
Please know that you are loved SOOOOO much, and that we will all do whatever we can to help you get back to where you should be. We are all missing Stella. We all love Stella... and she wants us to live and create a memory of her, for her. I love you <3

Anonymous said...

What an overwhemlingly powerful story.

Nobody should have to instruct a man to love and support his wife, especially in such a tragedy.
I dont understand why you are not being loved and supported the way you deserve to be.
You deserve to be cherished. Loved unconditionally.
You have the right to scream at the world and fall to your knees in sorrow. He should be there to catch you when you fall, to help you back up and support you when you are weak. But here you sit.. alone in that aspect. Thats not fair and I am sorry you have to go through that on top of the grief of loosing your Stella.
I am sorry he is not providing the strength you need him to provide. You deserve it. You really do.
I am sorry that your vows are going unattended.
Krystal.. you are a rare gem. A precious stone that is being neglected by the one you gave your heart and soul too. I am sorry.
You deserve the world. If he wont give it to you I promise someone eventually will.
I hope he realizes what he has before it is too late.
~Katie

Anonymous said...

Once again everyone wants to attack me. How can I be supportive? What can I do? I try to listen but often she won't talk. I try to have a positive outlook on life & its torn down by negativity. How can I help make this better? It's very challenging to support someone when it seems like whenever I try, I do it wrong. A good day can turn bad in a blink of an eye. Everything will seem fine then suddenly moods change out of nowhere and I get confused. Obviously something triggered it but I have no clue what just happened or how to respond. Then I'm the unsupportive husband. I'm not good at handling negative attitudes for such a long time. It's been over 8 months. With the same pessimistic attitude EVERY DAY. I can't handle this much longer. When will things get better? Who knows. But I can tell you that most of your words towards me are harsh and I feel im misunderstood. NO ONE understands how i feel. Not Krystal, not her sisters, or the rest of my family. I don't call my brother or my mother and bitch and complain about how Krystal is so negative & doesn't understand me and how I feel. And if I did, it would be innapropriate for them to say or write negative opinions of her with out seeing the WHOLE picture. I feel everyone has turned their back on me. Remember in the hospital when I said "I'm very concerned about Krystal. I'm not worried about me just her" and Katie you said you'd be there for me too and were worried about both of us. 8 months later its a different story. Who's there for me? No one. I felt I gave all my strength to Krystal the first several months after we lost Stella. And I have little left. I am drained. It's easy for all of you to not show your support to me when I'm not crying out for it but it would be nice to know I have someone to talk to when i need to that will Understand me. However, it's unfortunate that most of you view me as the bad guy right now and are only concerned about Krystal. Im glad you all have been there to help because I cannot do it alone but please don't point your finger at me and blame me for krystal's grief, depression and anger that she has right now. She is so upset everyday. And I'm the one who takes all her rage. I live with Krystal and see her everyday. Some are better than others but often most days are bad. I love you all but im deeply hurt by everyones anger toward me for not "supporting Krystal"

Matt

Anonymous said...

I dont know when things will get better, Matt.
I sure wish I had an answer to that.
I pray everyday for all four of you. Not just Krystal, Bris and ELijah. All four of you.

Please dont misunderstand my words and putting blame on you.
I stated that I was sorry that SHE FELT those things. She feels you are not giving her what she needs and I am sorry for that. That must really suck for her to feel like that.
Why she feels like that, thats another story.
I have an eyes wide open approach to life and I can promise you that I spend a great deal of time looking at the whole picture. I know my sisters anger and rage right now, I have seen it. I am not blaming you, Matt. Not at all.

Can I tell you that once Stella passed I was immensly worried about your relationship. My biggest fear what that you two would split up.
I dont want that for either of you or your children. But alas Krystal is my sister and I will support her in any decision she makes. I am fiercly protective of her as you know.

Do I think you could do a better job supporting Krys, hell yes.
Do I think she could do a better job communicating with you what she needs.. another hell yes.
Relationships are work as it, toss in tragedy .. especailly one that hits a woman to her very core.. and you have yourself one hell of a battle.
Is she worth it to you?
Is what you two built together worth it to you?
Fight for it if it is.
Make damn sure that ,if you two do split up (I pray you do not) that you can look back and say "I gave it my all and then some"

Try to understand her more.
Try to see how this broke everything she is/was.
Try to see that she not only lost her baby.. remember that she feels it was her job to bring Stella here safe and she feels she failed.
She needs a strong arm on her shoulder.
She is broken and angry and YOU, my friend, are her easiest target because she IS your best friend and you hers.
PLEASE dont shut us out either.. not at all Matt.
Remember that we are here for you as much as her. You say in one statement that we are not their for you and then in another that you shut people out.
You cant do that.
You feel. You lost your baby too. Show Krystal that you are missing her as much as she is. Get on the same level with her and show her how you feel. She needs that to heal.
SHe really thinks you dont miss Stella. Dont let her think that because it kills her.
I know you miss that baby! I know you love your daughter and wish she was here as much as Krystal does.
No lines in the sand Matt.. like it or not we love you and you are family.
~Katie

Anonymous said...

Matt-

I am sorry If I ever made you feel inadaquate amidst the words ive shared. I never meant to blame you, or make you feel like your feelings never mattered.
I admit ive been defensive on Krystals feelings, but that is only because I go on what she shares with me. Whether its good or bad, and in the end I want her to be happy. I want you to be happy as well, dont get me wrong.. but what can we do to make you happy? If you dont share how you feel, how will we know what to help with?
I guess at this point it only goes to show that Krystal is hurt, and wants your help and support, and to work it all out. She wants to go to counseling, she wants to have another baby, and from what Im seeing.. you are shutting her feelings out.
Maybe im getting the wrong impression, but When a wife is calling out for help and her husband is not there to catch her when she is falling.. how can I not feel resentment towards him?
Its the same situation Josh and I were going through.. He was not supporting my feelings when I was hurt, and going through post partum depression. He was telling me to "take my pills" and "quit my bitching". How is that supposed to make me feel better when my husband is not there to hear me out when I need to vent, or let me cry on his shoulder when im sad?
I truely hope that the two of you can work on your problems and move forward together. Neither of you can do this on your own. Find ways to make each day more positive, try turning all the pessimism into optimism.
Last night for example, during volleyball.. even if we did something bad.. you were there to make us laugh and find the positive out of it. It helped us win.
Do that with Krystal. Help her find the positives each day.. and together you can do it <3 I love you both and I want nothing but to see the both of you happy! You all deserve to be happy.
<3 Love you
Korin

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved