Monday, May 28, 2012

Where I Am Now~ 1 year 7months

Angie over at Still Life With Circles invited us BLMommas and Poppas, yet again, to share where we are in our grief journey.
 I participated in this last year as well, you can read my post on that here. I was 7 months 6days out when I wrote that blog post.  Today I am 19months out on the dot. And honestly I had to revert to my "ticker" to realize it is indeed the 28th of the month and marks 1 year and 7months. I used to hyperventilate days before every 28th of the month came. Now they come and go and sometimes I don't even realize it until the month is over and her day has passed. Grief has twisted and turned, and morphed into so many different faces with in the last 19months. It has become anger for much of that. I have become quite calloused & numb in that time as well. I don't see life as beautifully as I once did, which is really quite sad.
The other day I seen a post on FB that explained life as "A sexually transmitted disease that always ends in death and has no cure" That is really the attitude I have acquired in my grief lately.
A whatever, kind of attitude.
I have also had so many battles with-in my faith, it is absurd. A couple of those battle and questions, I suppose you can call it, is;
1) If heaven is so perfect and wonderful, then what is the point of this life?
 I feel it is some kid of punishment and purgatory most of the time. When grief hangs heavy especially.
2) If God knows and has planned our life already and what he deems to be will be, then what is the point of praying for things to be different?
Like if some one is dying and people ask for prayers. Does that really have any kind of affect on the outcome?? If they were to die, they would, if not then they wont. Right?
What do prayers like that even do?
For me prayer has become more asking for the safety from evil for my children.
I do pray and have hope that He would never take another one of my children before he takes me.
I pray to give thanks and I pray for him to bring me serenity and peace.
But I have lost the ability to pray for God to change whatever his plans are. Seems a bit backwards I suppose.
I feel like I just have to be numb and accepting to whatever comes and have hopes (no expectations because that ultimately brings nothing but disappointment) that everything will be OK.

Death has also become a very numbing thing, really in everyday life. I have seen so much death in these last few years its really (lost for this word) heartbreaking? Absurd?
Everyone from 2 of my aunts, an uncle, a sister in law, my daughter, our babysitter, whom I have known since her birth and died at 19 in a car accident) and my "2nd mother" (BFFs mom) and that is just to list a few.
It is really just too much sometimes.
So I have grown numb to it. 
I have a hard time saying that I am "sorry" for peoples losses sometimes. Just because I feel they are somewhere better then here. They made it home.
This way of thinking I'm sure cant be healthy. But its protecting something in me I suppose. 
Some kind of internal survival mechanism. A bitter calloused one, maybe.

I look for Stella a lot too. I will find heart shapes in random places and think maybe they are signs from her. I find penny's and also think of her. I feel so very far away from her though.
I still fall into melancholy depression randomly as well.
On subjects like having more kids or not, to selling off Stella's belongings.
I decided to list Stella's Stash on a FB buy sell trade site and when I opened up her bin of beautiful wool and diapers, I lost it. 
It wasn't the tear falling whimper, lost it.
It was the deep wailing, soul ripping kind of cry that I'm sure the neighbors heard.
I haven't done that in a long time.
I have been occupying myself with bad habits. Ones that keep my mind off of what I want and cant have and keep me in the waves of preoccupation. Just afloat.
 I often fall & sink below the surface, becoming overwhelmed in the grief. A shot of Jameson's usually brings me back to the "It will be OK, just breathe" place.
 I'm afraid if we don't ever try for another I could easily become an alcoholic if grief carries on the way it is.
 I'm a controlling kind of person who rarely falls into any kind of addiction, but losing a baby forces you to let go of any kind of ideas of having any kind of control at all. When that card is pulled the whole house can fall, easily.
We had a "slip up" last week. So I am in the 2ww phase, my last chance really. I told my husband that if we did not conceive he can just go ahead with the big V, if that is what he wants. I have to accept that maybe having another child just may not be in my future. The one thing I have known and become since I was 15. A phase in life I  have to  move on from. That is hard. Its all a part of growing and learning to accept I guess. Finding what I am besides being a mother. The one job I love and knew. I don't really know where to go from here. And maybe because I don't want to, I cant figure it out. 
Day by day. That is really where I am, still to this day 1 year and 7months out from the epicenter that was the atomic bomb that fell into the center of my life.
I wish I could find a better way to paint this picture. A more beautiful painting. Stella deserves a beautiful painting. The blackness with in me left from her death leaves me painting black circles, over and over. Someday I hope to find those colors, the colors of the rainbow and be able to paint the picture she deserves.

12 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

It was a strange time for me when I realised I wasn't taking pause on the 19th of each month anymore. That seemed to be a huge thing to let go of, as the 19th of the month ruled my life for a long time.
Sending you love. I remember you from last year. Stella is so very beautiful.
xo

Angela said...

Like Sally I remember when the 14th stopped being a day to dread and cry through. It made me worry I was forgetting her.

I struggled with my faith so much after my daughter died. It is so hard to reconcile a loving God with the loss of a baby. I hope you find peace.

Stella is beautiful. Remembering her with you.

still life angie said...

Thank you, Krystal, thank you for being so honest. I very much related to everything you wrote. I remember feeling much the same. It is hard to explain to anyone but other mothers and fathers who have lost children. It sounds so dark, but to me, when I hear it from other people, I just have to say, "Yup." Sending you love and remembering Stella with you. xo

KrystalK said...

I do feel I have this dark morbid side to me now, that I really dont like. Especially compared to the bright exuberant person I was before this life became such a mess. That, I am sure, is a huge reason why I dont get many comments and readers. I cant paint a beautiful picture of this mess because its is so dark and aweful to me still. People look for the bright side and I have yet to find that, so writing about that is still hard for me to do.

Janet said...

It sounds like you have been through so much, on top of the unbearable pain of losing Stella. She is so gorgeous, by the way. I love the photos you've shared of her here.

xoxo

Catherine W said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your little Stella and that has life been so unkind, with so many deaths amongst those close to you and that you love. I'm not surprised that your feel numb and are facing these difficult battles. Life is just so hard to make sense of, so hard to reconcile ourselves to, at times.

Your little Stella's Stash is just so precious, I can see all the care that went into choosing those little beautiful little diapers and I'm so sorry that she won't get to wear them.

I'm also wondering if I will have any more babies and your reflections on that really spoke to me. I also wonder if the way to being anything other than a mother seems so foggy to me because I can't really think of anything that I would rather be at the present time.

Remembering your beautiful Stella and I hope that those colours return to you in time x

brianna said...

I think that describing living after the death of a child as the epicenter of an atomic bomb is pretty accurate. There is no right way of grieving and if things are dark for you right now then that is your truth and there is no need to apologize in any way for it.
It is a long haul and there is no medal for those who finish the race first. Grieve and grow at your own pace. One day I hope you find those colors again too. You deserve that.

After Aidan said...

I hope you (and I) find those colours to paint with someday. Thank you for sharing your story. Thinking of you and your beautiful Stella Grace.

Merry said...

Your words perfectly illustrates state I recognise very well indeed. I wish writing it out could be enough to help it pass, but I know it is not that easy. Much love.

Jessica said...

I appreciate the raw honesty of your writing. The last line really captures hiw I imagine all babyloss parents feel. Thinking of you and Stella...thank you for sharing <3

Fireflyforever said...

I remember your post from last year and I remember how beautiful Stella is.

"I pray to give thanks and I pray for him to bring me serenity and peace.
But I have lost the ability to pray for God to change whatever his plans are. Seems a bit backwards I suppose."

It doesn't seem backward to me. I am three and half years out and am only just reconnecting with my faith. I barely prayed at all for three years - just stamped my feet a lot. Praying for serenity seems an amazingly powerful thing to be able to do. Especially in the face of so much loss alongside the monumental loss of Stella.

I wish you colours - not to replace the black, because there will always be black - the black that is made because we love them so and it hurts so to be without them forever - but colours to complement and co-exist.

erica said...

She is such a beauty, your Stella. I remember pausing at her photographs last year, and I found myself doing that again this year. My heart aches that she isn't with you right now.

Your struggles with faith resonate with me. I still fight with mine, with the shreds of mine. I still wonder, often and often, about prayer.

So much love to you. I hope you find your colors, but I have to say that I think your love for Stella is beautiful and bright, even in all the darkness.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved